Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Clinic, McDonalds, and Shifts!


Sorry there's no pictures in this one!



I had clinic, or prenatals, for the first time on Tuesday! I was worried that it would be tiring and stressful, but it wasn’t. I loved it! I was shadowing Krys, the director, because she had switched with my regular supervisor Heather. Krys is a great teacher and she encouraged me to jump right in. So I did! She showed me how to measure the fundis, or belly of the mother, find the position of the baby, check the fetal heart tones, and fill out the patient’s chart. I was really excited because most all of my measurements were correct! There was only two or three times out of elven that I couldn’t find the position of the baby or get the right measurement of the belly. I loved getting to see and pray for so many ma’ay gwapa mga buntis! (That means beautiful pregnant women in Bisaya, the language here.) I can’t wait for next Tuesday to do it again!

Today I went to the Immigration office to get an extension on my visa. That went smoothly. The best part was afterwards when I treated myself to McDonalds at the mall! I got a double cheeseburger, small fry, and Coke for about 95 pesos. That’s only about $2! It was so good! It wasn’t quite like McDonalds at home, but it was close. And my cheeseburger was smothered in cheese!
In other news, I have my first shift in the birth room tonight! Hopefully I’ll get to see some babies! I’m on night shift so I’ll have to be there from 10pm to 6am. I’ll be up all night so please keep me in your prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment