Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Life so far...

Well look at that! Another blog post! Sorry I’m a bit late on this one. Life’s been a little crazy the last couple of weeks. I’ve been really busy with my assignment and working in the birthroom and cooking and cleaning and getting ready to come home. 38 days by the way! Better start making your appointments to see me now!
I had my first real emergency birth a few weeks ago. She bled about 1000 cc which is close to 1/5 of her blood. She came in, had high BP, no hepatitis screening... It was the “nightmare patient” the one you want to transport to the hospital as soon as possible. One problem. The baby was right there. We had to do an episiotomy to get the baby out as quickly as possible due to the mother’s blood pressure. The baby looked really post dates and was in respiratory distress. I took him to the hospital. I haven’t heard anything on how they’re doing yet.
My birth today was much better. Her labor went really fast. 3.5 hours long. Baby was great. Mother only had a small tear! I got to suture for the first time. My supervisor was great. She was super patient with me (Good thing cause I was a mess!) 
My official baby count is 20! How cool is that? That’s roughly 3 babies a month so far.
I’m really looking forward to being home for a bit. It’ll be nice to rest and not have to think so much about schoolwork or catching babies or cooking for 12 people or if a horde of ants is going to eat me in my sleep.
It’s hot.
So in planning ahead, I’ve been thinking about what I want to do after school is over. Be a midwife of course. But where? Fort Mill has a lack of clinics and I need to work under someone in the states for a little while so I’ve been thinking of moving to Charleston and working under a midwife there. If anyone has any suggestions of somewhere else I should consider please let me know :)
The other thing I learned recently is that Iris Ministries just got the go ahead to build a hospital in Pemba. So that’s also an option. I would love, love, love, love, love to go work as a midwife in their hospital! That would be beyond amazing! So that’s just something I’m praying about.



Anywho. I can’t think of anything else right now... The new season of Doctor Who starts this weekend. I’m looking forward to that. Also... THOR! Thor comes out a week early here! So you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll be making a trip to the theater in the next week! I’ll also be wearing my Thor shirt when I go. It’s going to be awesome.




Sorry about the lack of pictures... I’m really bad about that... So... here’s a puppy. And my Thor shirt.
Love you guys! Thanks for your prayers and support!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

I cant see any pictures. :(
But I am excited to see you soon! :)

Tina Salter said...

I vote for you moving to Greenville SC!!!

Unknown said...

Hahaha! Sorry for the lack of pictures heres a puppy? Hahaha! I can't wait to meet you.

Annabelle Lee said...

Iris ministries:) I love Heidi Baker!!

Nicolle Blake said...

ASHTON!! girl i miss you!! love ya

fred said...

I think you should look for a job in Danbury or New Milford Connecticut, then you can board with us after we move:) Just a though! can't wait til you're home and can see you:P

Post a Comment