Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Religion and/or Jesus


Watch both of these before please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ru_tC4fv6FE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1IAhDGYlpqY


I watched both of those two videos today. I agreed with them both even though they seemed slightly contradictory. First, let’s define the issue. Religion. 
Religion is defined in the dictionary as: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
The first man says he hates religion. Let’s replace religion with another term, possibly even a phrase because it seems to me that the above definition isn’t what he’s talking about. Let’s go with self-righteous, empty works that are often found in the church that are performed out of fear. In fact, let’s just replace religion with fear.
The second man says he loves religion. Once again, let’s replace it with another term because what he is talking about doesn’t really fit the above definition either. Let’s go with following the instructions that Jesus gave us out of love. Let’s replace religion with love.
So. One man hates fear. The other loves love. Fear is the opposite of love. The two men have different definitions of religion, but in the end, they are saying the same things. One is coming at the issue with a glass half full perspective, the other a glass half empty perspective. Same glass. Same amount of fluid. Same message. 
What one man calls religion, I call fear. What the other calls religion, I call love.
Following Jesus is doing as He asked out of love, not out of fear.
I hate religion. I hate bigotry and empty works and hypocrites and self-righteousness. I hate judgement and hatred. I hate fear.
I love religion. I love following what Jesus has asked me to do. I love feeding the poor, clothing the naked, holding a lost and dying world. I love love. 
So. 

1 comment:

Robin said...

i love the last two paragraphs. well said, dear.

Post a Comment