Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

So it’s 8 in the morning and I’m going back to sleep. I’ve only been awake for three hours but it’s been a very eventful three hours. I woke up feeling all cozy and wanting to just turn over and go back to sleep. I checked my clock to find that it was 5:20 am and my alarm hadn’t gone off. I sighed and tried to jump off the top bunk as quietly as I could. I found some scrubs and a cup of water then headed to shift. I walk through the birthroom door and the supervisor says “She’s pushing. Who’s first up?”
“I am.” I say. My eyes aren’t even fully open yet. I put on gloves and head to the cubical where I can hear the woman moaning. As I sit at the end of the bed I talk to the woman laying there. “Ok di (Bisyan for sister) listen to me ok?” She nods. With the next contraction I can see the baby’s head. “Ok. Slowly. Hinai hinai ok?” She listens beautifully.
With each contraction I can see more of the baby’s head. As she gets closer to crowning I can tell that she’s starting to loose control. I support the baby’s head so that it won’t come until I’m ready for it. “Ok, An? Listen. Don’t push ok? Just ‘ha’ like a cough, like an ubo ok? Siggy!” With the next contraction she says ha like I told her, somewhere between a cough and a shout. Every time I could feel her start to loose control I’d remind her, “Ha lang. Just ha.”
With each ha a little more of the baby’s head slipped out and finally, it was all the way out. I quickly checked for a cord wrap. Finding none, I told her, “Ok! Utong, push!” She pushed and I pulled and the baby was out. A beautiful 6 lb 10oz boy. The first Mercy baby of 2011. His name is John Rey. Here’s some pictures!
I just got off Christmas vacation. It was really nice to have a break from all the school work. I would tell you I was super missionary over my break and went to live in the slums and rescue kittens from vindictive slave traders but I didn’t. I went to the beach and stayed at a hotel so I could sleep in the air conditioning for a few days. It was nice to get away from “midwife life” for a little while. I actually slept for 12 hours the first night! Then I woke up, ate breakfast, and took a nap. Then I got up for lunch, went swimming at the beach and took another nap! My mom would be proud.
God knows I needed the sleep though. I haven’t slept that much since I got here. I was well on my way to getting sick and really needed the rest. I threw up on the ferry ride to the beach actually and it wasn’t from sea sickness. So some sleep and then some more sleep, then a nap helped me out a lot. But now I’m back to the daily grind. 
Here’s some cool news! On the 10th I get to go out to the mountain villages (The bukid) to do some medical stuff! We’ll be doing prenatals, giving vacciens and doing health teachings. I’m really exciting. A group went at the beginning of December and they loved it! I’m really looking forward to seeing what Filipino life is like outside of the city.
Other excitement! My mom and grandma are coming to see me in about two weeks! I can’t wait! They’ll get to see me catch a baby and everything! I really miss my family so it will be nice to get to see them!
So that’s about it for now. I’d like to say thank you to all the people who have been sending me boxes and letters! It’s very encouraging. And few things turn a bad or stressful day around like getting mail!
Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment